HP recently executed a firmware update ~April 12, 2019 that affected printer families utilizing HP 902, 902XL, 906XL ink cartridges (HP 903, 903XL, 907XL in Europe).
Refilled HP 902, 902XL, 906XL ink series printer models which display printer/cartridge error messages such as “cartridge problem”, “incompatible cartridge”, “remove and re-install cartridges”, “cartridges not installed properly”, etc. then it is possible the new HP firmware has been installed onto your printer.
The new HP printer firmware version (1910A) will lock-out refilled cartridges if both below steps are completed:
- Firmware update is installed (if you clicked ‘Yes’) – see photo at right. It is strongly suggested you click ‘No‘ when this message is displayed to avoid cartridge lock-out.
- Refilled cartridge is installed after firmware update (cartridges currently installed in the printer will be unaffected until they are replaced with a new refill)
There is no simple process for refill/remanufactured ink cartridge customers to deactivate once the 1910A printer firmware update is installed. As well, it is not possible to return the printer to the previous firmware version. If you did perform a PRINTER UPDATE then all of the refilled cartridge chips are likely locked out due to the new firmware update from HP. Cartridges will need to be returned and re-chipped to restore full ink cartridge/printer functionality; new replacement chips will be available soon at your ink refill retail store, though timing is unknown / to be determined.
HOWEVER, there is a workaround solution available if you have or obtain an extra/spare set of HP 902/902XL OEM ORIGINAL ink cartridges…refer to the suggested bypass procedure below…
NOTE: Our partner site INKPLICITY is now offering refilled/remanufactured HP 902XL/906XL cartridges which feature new & fully compatible chips (as of May 14th). Use coupon code SAVE15 to get an extra 15% off.
SUGGESTED BYPASS – CARTRIDGE SWAP PROCEDURE:
If you have a spare set of HP 902 or 902XL OEM ORIGINAL empty, new or even partially full cartridges on-hand, you can perform the CARTRIDGE SWAP PROCEDURE which will get you up and running again with the refilled cartridges.*
- Insert a ‘same color spare cartridge(s)’ into the printer for ~25 seconds (i.e. HP 902 or 902XL Original empty or partially full).
- Quickly remove the 902/902XL original cartridge(s) within 30 seconds following insertion.
- Install the refilled or aftermarket HP 902XL cartridge(s) into the printer.
- Printer should accept the refilled or aftermarket cartridge and printing should resume. Some nuisance messages will be observed, including “NON-GENUINE CARTRIDGE”, but these may be ignored/bypassed at the printer.
HP 902, 902XL Cartridge Problem (Firmware Update Lock-Out): Bypass Procedure:
*Only HP OEM ORIGINAL ink cartridges (i.e. HP 902 standard or 902 XL new cartridges purchased from HP) can be used to reset the printer each time. Requires a complete set of spare cartridges to activate a full set of refilled ink cartridges. You may NOT use a ‘STARTER/SETUP cartridge’ or an ‘INSTANT INK READY’ cartridge. Nor can you use ‘remanufactured’ or ‘compatible’ cartridges which were purchased off the internet. Each color must be activated by a ‘same color spare cartridge’ HP ORIGINAL OEM ink cartridge.
CAUTION: If installing an ’empty’ HP OEM ORIGINAL cartridge, only allow empty cartridge to be installed in the printer for 30 seconds maximum, then immediately remove it. Otherwise, if empty cartridge remains in printer for more than 1 minute, air could be ingested into the built-in printhead and may result in a ‘depleted cartridge’ or ‘cartridge failure’ error message (…if this happens just activate 1 or 2 ‘Printhead Cleans’ from the Tools/Maintenance printer menu to clear the error condition).
What printers are impacted by the April 12, 2019 firmware upgrade?
HP 902/902XL & 903/903XL Ink-Series Printer Models:
- HP OfficeJet 6950 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet 6951 All-in-One Printer (P4C86A)
- HP OfficeJet 6954 All-in-One Printer (P4C81A)
- HP OfficeJet 6962 All-in-One Printer (T0G25A)
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6958 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6960 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer (T0F28A)
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer (T0F33A)
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6974 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6975 All-in-One Printer (J7K36A)
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer (T0F29A)
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6979 All-in-One Printer
For questions regarding refilled cartridge usage, printer questions/problems, new cartridge support offerings or ink refill locations please Contact Us.